Monday, February 4

Identity

Perhaps I fear becoming the woman that this woman finds revolting.

On the one hand, I want to be "mom" to my boys; I want to be involved at their schools, help them with homework and projects and crafts, to read to them and take them on adventures to explore the neighborhood, or the beach, or the museum. I also crave connection with other moms; I want to sit & have coffee with friends while our kids play in the park, to compare joys and headaches, to trade babysitting and parenting tips. I want to not feel so alone.

Of course, I am mom, whether I have paid employment or not. And there always seems to be time for diaper changes and laundry and dishes. But finding time for living my ideal version of motherhood is difficult to fit in with a full time job outside the house.

Then there's the other hand. What if staying at home with the boys falls far short (as it surely will) of my high expectations? Then who and what would I be? The answer is, of course, below - but apparently I have been away from my thoughts (or my paint) for too long.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The point in the paint is to have no ideal. They aren't real, but you are, wherever you are.

Lilian said...

I don't think I can offer much advice since I wasn't working full time when I became a mom, I just continued being an instructor (I was not merely a "TA" by then) and teaching, but I really enjoyed these past 3.5 years not working and being primarily a mom. (I did spend several months while my parents were here being a "professional dissertation writer" though).

Anyway... of course there are no ideals, but you'll probably enjoy life with your boys just the same. I do.

Shelli said...

You'll never know until you try.

Shawn said...

Create your own playgroup ... that's one way to feel less alone and yet be home to get things done. None of it is perfect, but somehow things get done. Job vs. no job -- it's all hard to juggle.

hope you are enjoying new baby!!