Tuesday, August 12

Drifting away

Like the codas below, I find myself drifting away. I drift where life leads, and spend less and less time in front of the computer. Partly, we moved the computer into the office, leaving it somewhat inaccessible to me while AD is working. More than that, however, I'm just living, as best I can, right now. My life goes from breathtaking to infuriating and back a thousand times a day:

I delight as I watch V gleefully bounce in his jumper, listen to E's imaginative description of the world he lives in, and survey R's increasingly unusual whiteboard art. I sigh when I'm covered in baby poop, again, or find more to clean up from another source. I roll my eyes when I discover the window screen ripped to shreds, and NOT by the cats. Then we go out to the beach for a picnic, and E is disappointed that we can't plant the roasted sunflower seeds I brought with us for a snack. What a beautiful thought, to plant flowers on the beach. V is crawling, like an inchworm, which makes it difficult to keep him from eating sand or other things he shouldn't. He seems to know the difference between baby food and people food, and has decided he deserves the latter. And he is still a "spitter". R seems so mature sometimes, outgrowing childish refusal to utter the name of an animal he doesn't like, then must make a game of everything to take twice as long keep from getting bored. And E ... well, "no" is the first two letters of his middle name. In our house, we get "terrible threes".

And that's just the boys. AD's mom visited us last week, so we took her to visit the city and the lake and the state fair, we had a family dinner, and a date (woowee! first adults-only movie at the theater since ???), and a couple nice evenings getting to know the neighbors. Busy, yes, but not too busy to hear that AD will be much busier soon. As will we all. First grade starts for R in just three weeks.

In the midst of this wonder, this exhaustion, this joy, this laundry, this aching body, I sometimes think about writing, but life goes too fast and the moment passes me by, leaving only these remnants as evidence that I have a brain:

Titles for Almost Posts:
  • Suddenly six months (about V)
  • First Tooth (now second)
  • One Year Ago (what started our move)
  • Where I've been and where I'm going
  • Art Glass (work in progress)
  • and without a title, pictures pictures pictures.

    Sometimes I worry about not "getting anything done", when we don't manage to get out of the house all day, but what's the point? I make a goal to get out of the house the next day and see how it goes. I can only be where I am.

    Right now, I am not much here. I could worry about that, but I think I'll just take things day by day and see how it goes. I invite you to do the same.

    3 comments:

    "Tae's Mom" said...

    I just got a Dyson Animal DC14- Now I will look forward to vacuuming the heap of cat hair and my hair off the floor every other day! That's really getting something done. :)

    Maybe it is the "mother" thing that makes us think we have to always be busy doing things around the house.

    HEY, I just want to read a book and get some sleep. That's "getting something done," right???

    Darn! I just remembered what I have to get done next week....

    Btw, what do these unusual artwork look like? Tae now has 6 teeth. The top 4 came in all at the same time a few weeks ago. AND E is a very gentle soul... even as a baby baby.

    Shelli said...

    I can relate to this. I haven't been on my computer as much lately, but it feels good.

    jena strong said...

    All I can say is that I love that we both have a "V" !