Tuesday, October 16

Guilt

Once the flood gates open ...
... you get to hear about all the things that have been stewing in my brain for the past week.

One of the things that makes it difficult for me to say I will leave my job is guilt. This guilt comes in several forms.

I feel guilty that by leaving, I will be treating the people I work with badly, when I have been treated so well. I know my coworkers are very busy, and my boss is looking to expand the department, and people in my field are in pretty high demand right now, so if I leave, won't I be leaving them in a lurch? If I analyze this guilt, I realize how irrational it is. First, I am making assumptions about how much I am needed and how much I will be missed that are probably somewhat exaggerated. Secondly, I have been treated well and well-compensated for the work I have done, and will do until I leave. That compensation is not for future work, work that I can leave for some other engineer who wishes to be well-compensated. I am sure I am not paid any better than my peers for what I do, so I shouldn't sell myself short by feeling an obligation to the company because of my current compensation. People, my boss in particular, may feel disappointed that I am leaving, but I need to remember that disappointment is unavoidable in life, sometimes, and disappointment is not injury. I am not treating someone badly by disappointing them. (If I tried to avoid disappointment at home I might feed my boys sweets all day and give them anything they asked for. Would this be in their best interests and "treating them well"? Absolutely not!)

Another kind of guilt I feel about leaving work is what Articulate has likened to survivors guilt. Why should I be able to take off from work, to leave the "daily grind" when so many people need to work to make ends meet? Isn't it somehow wrong for me to leave? Irrational, I know, but present nonetheless.

Then there is the financial guilt. I feel that by leaving work I put our future financial well-being at risk. We will be drawing down savings instead of increasing them. This goes against the practical German-heritage Midwest no-nonsense upbringing I had. How can I possibly take off work indefinitely and still expect to have money left for my children's college education and our old age, not to mention any emergencies that come along? But, I must remember, I'm not in this alone. As A.D. reminds me, he intends to make his business profitable, and maybe a lack of my income will help to motivate him towards success. Besides, I am an intelligent and capable person. While I may not be able to earn as much money in another line of work as I do currently, I am sure I can bring in some income if it becomes necessary. And, I might even figure out how to make money doing something I enjoy, if I stop spending so much of my time doing something that I don't.

2 comments:

L said...

Phew!! That's a lot of things you have to contend with, I didn't want to be in your shoes. I understand "multi-leveled" guilt and I don't know what to say about it. As you know, I'm in the opposite side -- I feel guilty because I need to find work, but on the other hand I wish I could stay where I am, just because I'm afraid I won't be fulfilled by the work I find and I feel tempted to be thrown fully in the "chaos" of new motherhood instead -- something my husband doesn't want for our family. I'm trying to write this post right now, but it's hard!

Cheryl said...

Maybe fear is another thing we share. I plan on writing about fear soon. Although I feel I want to quit my job, I am also afraid of the ramifications. I love my boys, but I suspect that staying home full-time might also make me crazy, and I worry about the money. Then I read about all these blogging moms who have started their own business or otherwise found ways to earn an income from home, and I think, "why can't I do that?" I think there must be something each of us can do, that we will enjoy, and that will also improve the family finances. Good luck finding yours!