Thursday, October 25

Recuperation

I spent two days at home to recuperate, but didn't end up doing much resting on either one. I did take some time for myself on Monday, listening to an article about Opting Out from North Carolina public radio. I particularly liked a comment from one of the callers, Anna, who had left her high-powered career in Boston to move to North Carolina where her husband pursued his dream to be a school teacher and she stay home with their child. In Boston, he had been a stay-at-home dad while she worked, but then she decided to "opt out" of her career, and they opted into a different lifestyle in which, she recounts, "I've never been happier and I've never been poorer in my whole life."

That kind of testimonial is important for me to hear. As much as we all know that money can't buy happiness, I certainly have reservations about leaving work, partly because of the (somewhat irrational) fear of not having enough money.

Now here's my picking and choosing mind at work again. Just because money can't buy happiness, does that mean I'll be happier with less of it? More to the point, will I be happier if I leave work than if I stay?

The answer to that question can, in part, be found in the two days I was just at home. As I mentioned, I didn't actually spend much time resting while at home. In addition to listening to other women talk about being poor and happy, enjoying some time to myself, enjoying some time with my boys, and doing some work, I did something just a little bit creative. I figured out, all on my own, without a sewing machine, how to convert some of A.D.'s old T-shirt's into Halloween costumes for the boys. While the "kitty ghost", for the Painter, still needs a little work, the Inventor's pumpkin costume turned out pretty cute. (Pictures coming soon.)

Thinking about that simple, creative, loving act, making Halloween costumes for the boys, makes me smile.

4 comments:

L said...

YAY!! pictures!

It's not that easy to be happy while poor. Sorry to say that, but at least it's true for me. I'm happy, of course, but... it's tiring. but then again I didn't have money before to begin with so I've always been kinda poor... and we haven't established ourselves yet (e.g. we still have lots of basic furniture to buy) -- K just started his "good job." Well, I guess it's different having to go from more money to less than just having less for a loooong time. I think I'm not making any sense, but there you go! :)

Cheryl said...

What are you still doing awake? ;)

I acknowledge that being truly poor must not be an easy thing. I've been lucky, in that I've never really been there, although I was certainly better at scrimping when I was a student.

The funny thing about money is that I figure we spend a third to nearly half my income just to keep me employed here (if you count taxes). If we move to a less expensive part of the country, commute less, pay less in taxes and child care, we can reduce our expenses significantly without even much feeling it. In some respects, we will be much poorer for having less income. But, we will still be a long way from poverty, and this is what I need to remember.

Mika said...

Hi,

Nice to read you.

I was looking at your city criteria, you should consider Montreal, I think it has all the things you are looking for.

Cheryl said...

Thanks for stopping by Mika, and thanks for the recommendation. I've never been to Montreal, but A.D. liked it when he was there for a conference several years ago.