Sunday, April 13

One Step at a Time

It's been a week and a half since the movers delivered our life-in-a-truck. Time since then has been consumed with opening boxes. Sometimes we find long-forgotten treasures, or desired objects in unexpected places. Other times we find trash, or items due for unshopping.

Our house is starting to feel a sense of order, but there are still so many things to do:
  • AD finished the taxes yesterday and we happily will be receiving a refund.
  • Today, we successfully hosted a family birthday party for the Painter.
  • The plumber came yesterday to run a gas line to the dryer, and we have almost scaled the mountain of laundry that had grown since our arrival.
  • My computer was shipped back to my former employer, but I still need to send my badge and office key.
  • The health of our momma cat is up and down, and we may need to take her to the vet again in the next few days.
  • Received new cat ID tags in the mail, but still need to mail the applications for city licenses.
  • Need a never-ending list of miscellaneous items - bath tub stopper, litter scoop, dish drainer, recycling bags, kitchen pantry, bedroom curtains, bathroom shelf, ...
  • Still need to enroll the Painter in kindergarten for the remainder of the year. (I don't feel up to the task of home schooling right now.)
  • New car tags and drivers licenses
  • Make sure friends and family all have our new address and phone number - maybe even write some letters.
So many things leaves chaos in my mind. In the midst of it, I am easily frustrated with the boys. "Just let me finish this one thing ..." which of course isn't just one thing but fifty.

But what's important? Did we come here to set up a household? Well, yes, but that's not why we came.

Tomorrow I will try to remember to breathe, attend to the boys, and step through the list one foot at a time.

3 comments:

Shelli said...

Moving is a heck of a job. Sounds like you're holding up fairly well. Good luck!

beth said...

It will all come together...sometimes too slowly, but life will find a sense of "normal" before you know it. And with Spring showing it's smiling face, that will also help.

I think I told you that we had moved 13 times in 21 years...and all of those moves, except 2, included the kids.

When you said "our life in a truck"...well that was brilliant because that is EXACTLY how it feels.

Some people have no idea what that is, I though, have lived it soooo many times and it's not always easy or fun.

Believe me, I have spent many days feeling that some of our boxes must be missing because "our life" was sucking....like puzzle pieces, nothng was fitting quite right. Schools were yucky, or neighbors were icky.....or just anything not right, made me want my old life back.

And then there were other moves, where I was dancing through the whole thing, so happy to have a change.

So, if you ever need someone to share with, talk to, complain to.... that will really understand what you're going through, you know where you can find me.

{and yes...that standing order of "LAUGH" will always help}

Lilian said...

Oh dear, I know how tough it is and I hope that you can get things done and find the space to relax and enjoy your boys.