Wednesday, April 16

Where does it come from?

I swear, now I have guilt about not feeling guilty about the right things.

I feel guilty for rather suddenly abandoning my job/coworkers/boss (although I'm sure they know there is a risk any time someone goes on maternity leave).

I feel guilty for deciding not to send the Painter to the (understaffed by our assessment and rather unappealing in any case) next school over for the remainder of his kindergarten year.

But shouldn't I feel guilty about things like not spending enough time with the boys, or not giving them all the best experiences, or buying all the best toys, or not using re-usable diapers? Ok, I do feel guilty about the last one. And, I guess I also feel guilty for dragging the Painter all over the world in his short life so that he has yet to develop any real friendships or have a birthday party with friends. That's close enough. Crisis averted.

Begone, guilt! You're not welcome here anymore.

So, now that I am in charge of educating my children, anyone have any tips, hints, ideas, or any clue what they are doing in teaching a kindergartener at home?

4 comments:

bella said...

Be gone guilt!
I'll drink to that.
It's rather overrated I think, as if by feeling guilty we win our spot in the "good" moms club, like even if we are not doing all the "right" things, we know we "should". :)
This is why it helps me, to have these other women out there, writing. It brings perspective.
I think you are doing one hell of a job!

Shelli said...

Don't feel guilty! You're doing fine.

I can't help you about teaching a kindergartner, but I know there are homeschooling blogs out there. I am not at that point yet, so I haven't saved any, but maybe if you do a search...

Shawn said...

There are a gazillion blogs and web sites to get you in the right direction. I think you have to decide what style you want to teach; then teach that. Good for you for making a tough decision.

Good riddance, guilt.

I am fascinated by homeschooling; just not sure I'm up to it. If I were going to do it, though, it would be largely child-centered, nature-filled and lots of hands-on learning.

Sky said...

i imagine someone in the public education dept. there would give you a copy of the generic curriculum being used by the K teachers. perhpas you could even schedule an appt. with a K teacher at the school to see if you could coordinate your teaching plan with hers. then building on what he has already learned move toward finishing the year at the same level the K class will be by the end of this school term. good luck.

you have faced a lot of transitions recently. i am sure it is somewhat stressful - so many things happening at one time. soon it will all feel familiar, this new life you are creating. :)

hope the kitty is ok.