Saturday, December 1

Happy Birthday to Me

Thirty-six years ago today, I was born. In honor of my birthday, I am participating in the LTMD Group writing project. It has taken me all week to come up with these rules or I might have posted sooner. But, better late than never ...

The Law According to Me
or, "10 Eclectic Rules to Live by in the order that they occurred to me"

1. Stop & smell the roses. Although it may be cliche, this is one of my favorites. I love roses. I love the fragrance of roses. I try to always stop and smell the roses (and lavender and rosemary, etc.) and in so doing, remember to appreciate the beauty in life.

2. The minivan is not a mini Cooper. It's always bigger than you think it is. Corollary: it's not any cooler with those scratches on the bumpers.

4. Communicate, part I. No one can read your mind. For that matter, no one can read my mind. So if you have something to say, just say it.

3. Communicate, part II. Yelling is not talking. Whining is not talking. One "very" is enough. I can't understand when you talk with your mouth full. I can't translate meow-ish or woof-ish or Painter-ish or Inventor-ish. If you want mommy to answer you, then please speak calmly in English.

5. Make love not war. This one is tough to manage even in the microcosm of our own household, but as the benefits are great, it is worth trying.

6. Take time to reflect. Really. If I did this more often, writing down ten rules to live by might come more easily.

7. Write. In your blog or your journal, or in letters to friends, or a poem. Writing helps me connect with my emotions, to understand my feelings; I get lost much more easily when I neglect to write.

8. Turn off the TV. This is second nature in our household by now. We have a wonderful wide-screen flat-panel TV that gets, on average, an hour of use each day. Poor thing probably feels neglected.

9. Get out of the house. There are always things to do around the house, but you'll be happier if you get out and away from the usual distractions.

10. Celebrate life. On your birthday and everyday. Celebrations don't need to be extravagant to be beautiful. Life is a wonderful journey. See rule #1.

9 comments:

Shawn said...

Hey -- you have a great list here. I was just reading my blog roll and found it ... you didn't email me that you participated! But, I'll excuse you and link to you anyway. : )

These lists are hard, aren't they?

Shawn said...

Oh -- and Happy Birthday!!! Enjoy the new year.

Shelli said...

I love all your rules - especially #1 and #10.

Happy Birthday! I just turned 36 two months ago!

And, you have a beautiful blog - very pleasant to read.

Mary Ann said...

Great list, especially Communicate, part I. I keep forgetting people can't read my mind. Hate when that happens. :)

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Wonderful list. I especially love Communicate, parts 1 and 2. Part 1 is so true and part 2, well, I say all that so often it just made me laugh.

Cheryl said...

Shawn, thanks for including me and thanks for the inspiration to reflect.

Shelli, Moanna, MPJ: Nice to meet you, and thanks for stopping by. I'll return the favor as soon as I get caught up with my deadlines. :)

village mama said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

I love your rule # 1...every time I stop by a flower shop and inhale a bouquet of flowers I ALWAYS think 'I should do this more often'. It's like this surreal hug that tingles the brain, the heart, the mouth. Roses, yeah, roses!!!

ArticulateDad said...

Okay... I do promise you a rose garden, AGAIN! Just as soon as we get settled, and we've picked out where the vegetable garden will go, I'll get started on your second rose garden. It's been since we left Denver... and I guess that's too long.

Lilian said...

I feel so bad that I'm ten days late to congratulate you on your birthday... only 5 months (minus 6 days) later than mine (same year too!! -- people from 1971 rock, don't we?).

These are wonderful rules. I particularly liked the 2nd communication one. I think I'll start saying that to the boys from now on.

Well, Happy Belated Birthday!!