Tuesday, December 11

My Mother's Life

This spilled from my mind last week ... and now I have edited enough.

There was a time in my life when I feared becoming my mother. It's not that I didn't love her or appreciate her loving mothering. But, I saw her as a failure, as someone who had given up on her budding career before it ever went anywhere and became "just a housewife".

When Mom started college she wanted to be a doctor. She graduated with honors, with a BS in the sciences. At the time, though, she was engaged to my father and decided not to continue her education. She applied for a few industry jobs, but with an engagement ring on her finger, she was subject to the kind of discrimination that we, thankfully, don't see much today. The story I heard about one company's attitude was: "What if your husband gets transferred? We don't want the trouble of finding someone new then." Although she was very qualified, they didn't hire her. (And 37 years later, my father works for the same company and was never transferred far enough to consider moving the household.)

Those rejections were a good excuse to get started on a family. I was born 10 months after Mom & Dad were married. She substitute taught while pregnant with me, and didn't return to work until a few years after my brother (two years younger) was in school. That's about 8 years of being "just a mom". When she went back, it was to a teacher's assistant position: not a career I considered worth aspiring to when I was a young woman, but something that allowed her to be home when her children were.

I always thought Mom had given up on her dreams. But, in the light of my own experiences, I see that if she had really wanted to pursue becoming a doctor, had wanted to pursue a job in industry, she probably could have done so. Mom is not a much of a fighter, and it would have been difficult ... but I think that if she really wanted to pursue these career choices, then she would have kept at it longer, tried harder. Perhaps she thought that some day she would return to her dreams of a career, or maybe she didn't. But ultimately, that wasn't her choice.

When she became a teaching assistant, a lowly "teacher's aide", Mom achieved many things I imagine she wanted. Time enough for family, to raise two beautiful self-confident children who could dream of astronomical careers, time enough for religion, time enough for personal pursuits, and a job where she could work with kids and help people. Although her work was not at the top of society's standards for success, she was respected, and used her mind. She taught Sunday school, and became superintendent of Sunday school for the church. She became president of the church. She was active with her sorority, and held various leadership positions. She read, a lot, and shared her love of reading with me. She sang in the church choir. She has done many wonderful, worthwhile things with her life, even without an ambitious career.

When I was younger, it was hard for me to accept my mother's choices. The conflict I feel about leaving my career now leads me to believe that it is still difficult for me to accept, especially from myself. How can I, that young girl that dreamed of the stars, accept that my career is no longer important to me, that it's okay to let it go? The path is right in front of me.

In the past, I have feared becoming my mother. But I am no longer afraid. With the haze of fear removed from my eyes, I recognize what a wonderful role model she has been for me. And I see that she still has much to teach me. I will live, and love, and move in new directions.

Thanks, Mom.

4 comments:

bella said...

This moved me.
To see our own mothers as simply human, making their own choices with what was given them, is a gift.
To see them as powerful women who made choices, opens the door for offering ourselves the same freedom. Not right or wrong, good or bad choices, but choosing and creating our lives. What freedom.

Shelli said...

I think so many women can relate to this. I know that I can. I see my mother very differently now too. I see staying home with my son and "just being a mom" so differently too. Though I would love to have a writing career, I don't think I'd give up being able to stay home and be a mother for it.

Anonymous said...

I've been away too long! One of the things our mothers give us is something that we judiciously reject and repudiate: who they are. It starts very early. We mothers have to stand by and watch it, let our daughters be disappointed with us, and trust that the orbit will circle back, the path the same but the traveler older and wiser. How lovely that you can see your mother while she's still here to relish your smile.

L said...

Oh, what a beautiful post! Both my mom and MiL worked all the while (my mom even got a Master's degree) and I think it's almost funny that I feel like taking another path, enjoying being home with the boys. I'm not a fighter either, I don't even know how I got this far into the Ph.D.... but maybe I'll find some work that I like and can put what I learned to some use.