Saturday, March 8

Baby Love

In response to the prompt from Shawn at Between the Lines, I am reaching beyond the daily trials of being mom, again, to remember the joys of babyhood.

My beautiful little one,

I love the fuzzy down covering your body, like a duckling;
your tiny toes, and your soft, smooth baby skin.

I love your milky, sweaty, scent;
part baby, part mama.

I love your already expressive face,
your mouth forming a little round 'o', as if in surprise,
and your as-yet fleeting smiles.

I love too your vocal expression,
your own language of coos and grunts,
and your contented hums while you fall asleep.

I love the way you snuggle in to my chest when you are tired,
and wiggle your way down to my breast when you are hungry.

I love the way you intently gaze at the toys above your bed,
trying to make sense of the world;
and the way you look at me with your soulful grey eyes,
trusting me completely.

I love the way your little hands reach out to grasp mine
and the way, through all the other changes, you hold me tight.

6 comments:

Shelli said...

That's beautiful.

Lilian said...

Beautiful... enjoy your newborn. This phase is exhausting, but wonderful in its own very unique way as you well know. Thanks for reminding me...

beth said...

there's just nothing better than baby love !!!!

Sky said...

just lovely writing! our best friends had a baby on friday. i will share this with them.

bella said...

Stunning and so sweet.
Mama baby love is maddening and magical.
May you snuggle close together and drink it all in.

Cheryl said...

Thanks for all your sweet words. As for myself, I will return here when crying and fussing (from all quarters) makes me crazy.