Sunday, May 18

Tough Day Wandering

You can read why, below.

Instead of our shared sadness bringing us together, we somehow seemed to be pushing eachother's button's all day. Or rather, it seemed that the Painter, who was ever so close to Mira ("I like her best because she's the sweetest kitty") was provoking the rest of us. And, we were all cranky from lack of sleep last night. Completely understandable, but not what I would have wanted. Shouldn't we have banded together, had many big group hugs, been indulgent, done something creative? Shouldn't we have been more understanding that the one who protested that he loved her the most was, at least, hurting as much as the rest of us, and having not been through this before, in need of extra care himself? What about extra care for ourselves? Some of that ... but mostly the day felt like wandering aimlessly.

In the light of today, I feel again like I am wandering aimlessly. What are my goals? What is my purpose in being here? How can I find time for myself? We seem to have drifted from one thing to another this week, in this homeschooling experiment of ours. Several days with outings ended up with cranky mommy.

Am I crazy to attempt these things myself anyway? I don't easily ask for help, because I rarely really need it. I am strong and self-sufficient, am I not? I crave connection, but I rarely reach out. Here I am in my own little world, some days not even letting in the three little boys for whom I am constant companion, gofer, waitress, maid, playmate, milk factory. I want to be strong; how could it really be difficult, this thing that I am doing, raising my boys in a new city, homeschooling, potty-training, nursing.

And where is AD? Gladly busy with his business, things are moving, much interest ... but we get much less of his attention than we are accustomed to. And much more. Here we are all cooped up together in this house, with the basement playroom/entertainment room still not complete, no tv to lean on as a crutch - don't like to use it anyway, but sometimes crutches are very helpful! And I say to myself, here is my plan, get out everyday, get out in the morning, but I sometimes feel like I am dragging a mammoth behind me - I can't move until I get some help from the mammoth. How many times can I ask them to go get their shoes? And where should we go? We've been to the zoo and the nature center and the library. We've been to the playground down the street and to the one near the beach. We've been for bike rides and walks. We've been shopping, but that has its own dangers.

It would be really nice to get the stack of boxes out of the living room and the extra refrigerator out of the garage. I suppose we could just move the boxes to another room ...

Grieving in my own way, nothing seems to be right. Perhaps that is how the Painter felt all day, too.

7 comments:

beth said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine all the feelings that are being felt in your house right now.
I know someday I will have to go though this same thing and I will also have a hole in my heart.

warms hugs to you !!!

"Tae's Mom" said...

I am so sorry about Mira. I keep crying whenever I think of her. I am so sorry about your huge loss. It seems everyone is coping as well as they can. How is Hobbes and Jetta?

jena strong said...

One box at a time.

And I recognize that slide towards asking all the big, big questions in moments like the one you describe here. Sometimes it is so hard to accept that things are the way they are, not a fantasy but simply aimless and unclear and cooped up. Then it will all open up again, just when you least expect it.

You are doing a beautiful job, Mama.

bella said...

i'm sorry for this.
my heart has been aching for you, all of you.
grieve however you need to. there is no right way through.

Anonymous said...

Wander aimlessly, wander aimlessly. It's the only thing to do and the only direction to go. Tomorrow is a new day and you don't know where you'll find yourself, but you will.

Cheryl said...

Thanks, all. Your support means a lot to me.

tm, the other kitties seem to be coping well - but it's been a long while Mira hasn't really been a playmate to them, and even longer since she was their momma.

L said...

I'm sorry you had such a tough day (and sorrier I only read this today, almost 10 days later).